Logistics firms involved in last-mile delivery are both going through a boom time but are also under more pressure than ever before. A rise in online consumerism and home-delivery services has increased customer service demands to new heights for last-mile deliveries. Matched with this are rising fleet and labour costs, increased traffic congestion, and market competition. For logistics firms route planning is more complex than ever before and the ability to make money is dependent on being highly efficient.
At SmartRoutes, we have leveraged innovative technology to keep you ahead of the game and ensure your Logistics & 3PL services meet the highest standards.
Why is route planning in logistics important?
Route planning in logistics is essential to ensure efficiency and productivity at every step of the delivery process. From accommodating customer delivery requirements, vehicle constraints, to providing a good delivery experience and so on. Efficient routing will reduce fuel costs, increase driver drop rate and so on thus improving the overall profitability of the business.
It can be intimidating to move away from a purely based process however the efficiencies it brings makes it a no-brainer. It reduces the risk of manual route planning by pulling order information from your ERP system or uploaded spreadsheet and automatically plans the route, optimizes it based on set requirements and assigns routes to your drivers.
SmartRoutes Route Planning for Logistics Solution
Save time and money in delivery management. Cut carbon emissions. Get oversight on your fleet. Impress your customers with superb communication tools.
The Benefits of Route Planning for Logistics
- Automated route planning cuts hours of admin and planning time by having multiple delivery routes, created at the click of a button with optimization software
- Utilise Zip codes, Postcodes and GPS coordinates to quickly and accurately plan deliveries
- Create flexible geographical zones and automatically assign work within those parameters
- Optimize vehicle efficiency with smart load-balancing ensuring that vehicles are leaving the depot at maximum capacity
- Dispatch routes to drivers via their own app
- Include dispatch notes for drivers so they know what to do/expect
- Realtime tracking and visibility of the delivery fleet
- Increase drivery capacity and as a result reduce fuel usage per delivery drop - saving money and reducing carbon emissions
- Improve communication with customers by automating realtime delivery notifications and send accurate ETAs
How can route planning software improve logistics operations?
SmartRoutes provides a single platform to track and manage the entire delivery operation in real-time. To ensure you get the most out of logistics route planning software make sure you look for the following:
Delivery Driver app
- Let drivers get their routes assigned automatically via the driver app
- Give them clarity on their working hours for the day
- Give dispatch notes to drivers by individual stop/customer so they know exactly what to do
- Allow drivers to navigate their route effectively and on-time
- Allow drivers take driver notes for end-of-day reports without having to talk to dispatch manager directly
- Record signatures, notes and proof-of-delivery
- Provide a live package tracking portal to customers for a great delivery experience
- Let driver routes be tracked in real-time to prove out efficiency and record work done
- Improve data protection and security with a totally digital process
Data Cleansing & Address Verification
- Automate the cleaning and update of inaccurate addresses
- Automatically verify the authenticity and location accuracy of addresses provided by customers
Reporting and insights
- See end-of-day/week reports on driving time, efficiency and route diversions
- Automate weekly or monthly DOT, CSAT, NPS etc.
- Become a data-driven home delivery operation and generate insights to improve the experience for drivers and customers
- Become less reliant on driver local knowledge of routes and individual stops with driver notes reports and historic route data
- SmartRoutes is experienced in working with third-party software providers and can be seamlessly integrated with your current Telematics and Order Management Systems (See integrations list here)
- Easily integrate with your existing Proof-of-Delivery solution
Looking for Route Planning Software for Logistics?
If you're looking to implement route planning software for your logistics operations then look no further than SmartRoutes. You can try it out with our 7-day free trial or book a demo today. We can get you up and running in minutes and help you to make the most of it from the outset.